Friday, October 29, 2010

{Field Trip Fridays} PhotoPlus NYC

This week in NY there's a big expo going on called Photoplus. It's being held at the Javits Center from 10/28 to 10/30. If you're into photography, you definitely need to check it out!

I cleared my schedule yesterday so I could spend the day there. There were lots of smaller events around the city that were all tied into the Photoplus event.

I started out at a place on 28th & 11th called Shoot NYC


photoplus-1


where I went to hear Lindsay Adler, a NY fashion and portrait photographer speak about advanced blogging techniques for photographers. I've been to a few of her seminars already at B&H and really like her. We also have the same crazy hair - just different colors!

Then I headed on over to the Javits Center for the main expo.

photoplus-3




photoplus-2



All I can say is WOW!!! It was so exciting and intimidating all at the same time. Lots going on!


photoplus-10




photoplus-11



They had a whole schedule of seminars throughout the day that were a separate fee but there were also plenty of free speaking events as well. My favorite part!!


photoplus-4


All of the major camera companies were represented. Nikon had a big presence because they provided the free shopping bags for the attendees. Smart marketing! Everywhere you looked you saw bright yellow bags with "Nikon" written on it.

photoplus-6


Canon (my favorite) was there as well.

photoplus-5


I was swooning over all of their equipment. Check out these babies...

photoplus-7


Jumbo!

They had an 800mm lens set up for everyone to try. (there's that NIKON bag!)

photoplus-8


I HAD to take a look! It's unbelievable how far you can see! Without the lens I was trying to find what I was looking at just so I can see how far it actually was and I couldn't even find it!

Some of the companies got really creative with their displays like this company called Hoodman - they make camera accessories.

photoplus-9


Maybe this guy will have his own comic book one day.

Sony also had a fun setup - a ramp with a biker and cameras set up around the perimeter so you can photograph the biker making his way around the ramp.

photoplus-17




photoplus-15




photoplus-16


There were also a lot of printers and photo book companies. Check out these cards from MPIX

photoplus-13




photoplus-12



Love them! You know my brain is already spinning with "how can I make those?!?"

B&H (my favorite store) had a BIG presence as well. They were even providing free shuttle buses back to their store! I just love all of these creative marketing ideas. Genius!

I also went to my first tweetup! That was interesting. Everyone had to put their twitter handle on the name badge. There were vendors set up there as well. I got to check out Lensbaby. Cool lenses that you can actually move in different directions!

So, if you're in NY and you love photography, get your butt on over to the Javits Center. If you're not in NY, plan on coming next year!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

FUN!! I want to know what you learned:-)

citygirl - Stacey said...

The blogging class was more of a review - better for someone who has been blogging for only a short time. There were some sites she mentioned worth checking out - clickbank.com, commission junction and New Media Phootgrapher.

The other speakers were good as well - some talking about lighting techniques, others about their experience If I had more time I would have gone back another day to hear more of the speakers.

Heather Fonseca said...

I so would like to buy a really good camera to take photos, but my little point and shoot will have to do for a while I'm afraid. Looks like you had a blast. I should try to go to more of these things...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin