Tuesday, August 3, 2010

{City Life} Eating Our Way Through The City

One of the main things I love about city life is how unpredictable it is. I mean, you start your day off one way, and before you know it, it's turned in all different directions. And I mean this in a GOOD way!

Here's an example:

On Sunday we had plans to meet some out of town friends at a playground in Central Park. They had a very busy itinerary while staying in the city. We managed to squeeze in somewhere between "morning bagels" and "afternoon Broadway Show".

On our way over to Central Park, we passed a street fair going on in the 60's on the Upper West Side.

NYCStreetFair-1



Note to self: head back to street fair after the playground. See what I mean? We weren't planning on going to a street fair, but if you can keep your schedule flexible, you never know what will pop up! (and it doesn't end there)

The girls had fun climbing rocks at the playground and of course I had a great time catching up with my friend. (and watching the husbands trying to run after the kids)

After we left them, we headed straight back to that street fair and basically spent the rest of the day eating our way through the city.

It started at the fair What do you find at a street fair? Street food of course!

Everyone was starving at this point. There were lots of choices - enough so that everyone was satisfied.

NYCStreetFair-3



NYCStreetFair-6



NYCStreetFair-7



NYCStreetFair-8



NYCStreetFair-9



The hubbs and my older one started out with some meat on a stick. I passed on that one.

NYCStreetFair-2



My little one wasn't feeling very adventurous and just ended up with a hot dog.

As soon as I saw this I knew what I was getting.

NYCStreetFair-10



Did you ever have one of these Arepas? These particular ones are like corn cakes on the outside with melted mozzarella cheese on the inside.

NYCStreetFair-11



The sweet from the corn and the ooey gooey slightly salty melted cheese make for a great combination.

What better place to eat street food than right in the middle of the street!

NYCStreetFair-12



NYCStreetFair-4



After we were done eating our way through the street fair, my daughters wanted to go down to the West Village to a popsicle place I had been telling them about. So, that's where we headed. I'm going to do a whole separate post on that place, but let's just say my girls really liked it!

While we were down there we did some shopping around and sure enough, the girls were hungry again! I don't know if there's something in the air or just seeing all these great food places everywhere you turn, but it definitely makes you want to eat.

They had it in their heads that they wanted sushi. (at least they were agreeing on something) When my older one was littler she used to say "Mama, I want to go to a Jap-and-beans restaurant". Used to crack us up!

I guess you know where we ended up. We came across a place on Bleecker Street called Sushi Mambo.

It was still early enough so it was pretty empty - which works great for us, not having to worry that our kids are bothering anyone.

westvillage-3



They loved it!

We ordered miso soup, vegetable tempura, some maki and more meat on a stick! (guess they didn't get their fill at the fair)

westvillage-4



westvillage-5



westvillage-6



Everything was great but by now we were beyond stuffed.

Perfect time for a siesta!

What kind of food do you like? Are you more the "on the go" street food type, or are you the "sit down likes to be waited on" type?

I definitely think I'm both.

2 comments:

Heather Fonseca said...

The problem with living in LA is you drive everywhere, which makes sudden stops because something looks cool difficult. I'm sure the parking around the street fair was impossible!

It looks like a really fun time!

citygirl - Stacey said...

City parking is usually bad at any time but I did manage to get a spot. A very tight one! Took me about 5 tries before I actually got into it. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin