Friday, August 13, 2010

{Field Trip Fridays} Popbar NYC

I'm trying to organize my blog a bit and thought that coming up with themes or categories for certain days would be a fun way to start. I'm thinking Fridays may be fun to do "Field Trip Fridays" - showing you places to go just in time for the weekend. Most of my field trips will be to places in NYC, so even if you don't live here, you may want to stop by if you're in town visiting.

So, to launch off "Field Trip Fridays", our first stop will be to a place called The Popbar. In our home, evening treats are a big deal to my girls. After dinner, bath and 'jamas, up next on our bedtime routine is the "treat". This treat has become so important to them that I sometimes have to use it as leverage to get them to listen. I know a lot of you parents out there may not think that threatening your kids is the proper way to parent, but when push comes to shove, the threat of not having that treat will definitely get their butts in gear. Fortunately, I don't have to use it too often.

OK, it may seem like I'm getting off track a bit but the reason I bring up the treat is that 9 times out of 10, they want a pop - either an ice pop or a Popsicle or some other form of a frozen treat. I've been hearing about this Popbar for some time now and thought this would be a fun place to check out.

Located in the West Village, The Popbar is a small, unassuming storefront basically selling gelato on a stick.

popbar-8


Once inside you can see their case filled with lots of different flavor choices.

popbar-1



popbar-2


Even the walls are decorated with giant pops!

popbar-7


My girls each wanted coconut which I found amusing since I never saw them eat anything coconut before in their lives. I was torn between the berry and the mandarin but ultimately decided on the mandarin. The hubbs went for a chocolate variety.

Once you pick your flavor, you have the option to have it dipped in chocolate (white, milk or dark) and add toppings.

popbar-3


My older one went all out with the coconut, dipping it in white chocolate and then adding shredded coconut to the whole bar.

popbar-5


(does that headband look familiar? Just mentioned it yesterday!)

My little one only dipped half of hers in milk chocolate with a light sprinkling of the shredded coconut.

popbar-4


Once she was done with the chocolate side, she was done altogether. Guess she's not a coconut fan after all. (I could've told you that one!)

The hubbs had his dipped in dark chocolate and then topped with granola. For mine, I really wanted to enjoy the taste of the mandarin so I only had the very top dipped in dark chocolate and topped with a bit of biscotti.

popbar-6


All I can say is Wow!! It was so good!! I definitely recommend the mandarin and next time I would dip a little further and add more toppings. It didn't take away from the mandarin taste - just made it so much better!!

Do you have a favorite ice cream place in your area that you enjoy going to?

Have you ever been to the Popbar? Which flavor did you get?

Let me know what you think of the "Field Trip Fridays" idea. Would love your feedback.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great place to visit in the summer.

Jennifer D said...

That place looks amazing!

I may never get to NY so I will be looking forward to your Friday Tours. ;-)

citygirl - Stacey said...

Thanks! I have some places in mind - mostly food related! :)

colleen joyce pontes said...

So so so LOVE FIELD TRIP FRIDAYS!!! Can't believe you started this AFTER I left NYC - now I of course I am dying for Popbar!!!

citygirl - Stacey said...

Colleen - if you were still here you know you'd be going with me!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! How do they make the chocolate harden so quickly? X

Unknown said...

PopBar looks & sounds awesome!

Here in Florida, there's a really great place down the street from me called "Snowballs" that sells snowcones. They have every single flavor you can possibly think of & are steadily coming up with more! You can also get lots of different toppings; you can add cream (to make it more like ice cream) or soft-serve ice cream (which is really great when you make a "stuffed" snowcone) or you can layer different flavors! They're options are almost unlimited & almost every month they add more to it! It's a great place for our city because we don't really have a lot of unique places like that. :)

Antenna Installation Newport Beach said...

I enjoyyed reading this

Blog Widget by LinkWithin