Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ruffled Flowers & An Updated 80's Look

I wanted to show you a couple of new recent headband designs that I made. My daughter had a cabaret show a couple of weeks ago and asked for a new headband to go with her outfit. Originally she thought she'd be able to wear a pretty party dress or something extra fancy.

The directors had their own vision. They wanted everyone in black leggings and a t-shirt that they would provide. My daughter ended up with a yellow one. To fancy this outfit up a bit, I came up with a black headband with yellow and pink flowers.

pinkyelblkheadband-2



If it's for this one, there always has to be a little pink thrown in there. Although now for some reason she is trying to convince herself and everyone else that her new favorite color is blue.

We don't believe her.

After I made it I saw a segment on the Today Show where they were talking about the new latest trend - an updated 80's look. I think that's exactly what this headband is! Black with contrasting bright colors but not too bright and not too 80's. Am I right?!?

pinkyelblkheadband-1



The other design was for one of her counselors as part of her end of summer gift. Mind you, I have no idea if this girl even wears headbands and even f she doesn't, she was too sweet to disappoint my daughter. I didn't even know her style. All I knew was that she liked purple and blue.

On one of my recent searches around the Internet, I came across a tutorial for ruffled flowers. Since I always like to experiment with some new craft technique, I thought I would give it a try.

I cut circles from wool felt, folded them into little buds and sewed them together. I think it came out pretty good for a first try, but I definitely can see how I would modify it for the next one. There will definitely be a next one! This was a fun technique to try!

ruffledflowerheadband-1



Have you tried something new lately? Did you like it? Would you try again?

2 comments:

Jennifer D said...

You are right... totally updated
80's. I love it.

I tried making gnoochi last night for the first time... it was ok.

citygirl - Stacey said...

Jennifer - I think I'll try more 80's inspired designs.

I made gnocchi a few times. I like it but I find it a bit heavy.

Have you tried making any other pasta from scratch? I have a pasta machine and use it maybe once a year. I need to break it out and use it more often.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin