Thursday, July 22, 2010

{City Life} Field Trip - Phantom Of The Opera

So yesterday, my daughter's theater camp was going on a field trip. During the year in school, I usually volunteer to be a chaperone going on field trips to places such as The Bronx Zoo & Botanical Gardens.

Yesterday's camp field trip was to see Phantom of The Opera on Broadway!!

Hellooooo!! No twisting my arm to be a chaperone for this one! One of the many benefits of living in NYC - field trips to Broadway shows! Don't get me wrong, i still had to pay for my ticket, but I think it was at a reduced rate.

It was a great experience for her. When she was 4 I took her to see The Lion King since she was so into the Disney thing back then. She's only 6 1/2 now so she didn't really get the Phantom story, but she loved the singing.

"Mama - I really loved it so much! But...what was it about?"

IMG_2563-sm



She said she was even a bit scared. I missed the very beginning because one of the girls in my group had to go to the bathroom. (gotta love their timing) When we returned, my daughter was sitting on the lap of one of the older campers!

The guy who played the Phantom - John Cudia was amazing!

phantom-1
Photo (c) Broadway.com



As I was listening I was thinking that his voice reminded me of the show Les Miserables. Sure enough, I was right! I read in the Playbill that he indeed in fact played Jean Valjean in Les Miserables. I knew there was a reason I loved it! His voice is out of control!! (I'm actually listening to the Les Mis CD now as I am typing)

We weren't allowed to take any pictures of the actual show, but I did manage to get some shots of the inside of the Majestic Theater.

Our seats were kind of high up and the steps were at a steep angle. Normally I like sitting in the orchestra (who doesn't) but these turned out to be good.

IMG_2568-sm



Everything was so ornate. This was the chandelier that was part of the show.

IMG_2571-sm



This was on the ceiling.

IMG_2570-sm



And on the other end you can see the ornate decorations on the walls of the theater.

IMG_2566-sm

To see photos from the actual show, you can go to Broadway.com


There's nothing like a Broadway Show experience. Especially a musical. If you've never been to one, make sure it's on your list the next time you're in NY.

If you have been to a show, what's your favorite? Mine is Les Miserables. I also loved Beauty & The Beast - which happens to be the production my daughter's camp will be doing in a couple of weeks.

bohtshirt


Can't wait!

1 comment:

Heather Fonseca said...

Looks like lots of fun. The most exciting event I've been to this year is the Circus (which was fantastic) but it's been years since I've seen a big musical. My kids field trips aren't quite as glamorous, but like you I always try to chaperone.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin