Friday, September 17, 2010

{Field Trip Fridays} Chelsea Market

Today we're heading down to 15th street and 9th Ave - right on into Chelsea Market. Chelsea Market is a marketplace comprised of different stores and eateries - mostly food related. It may sound a bit familiar to you because it is also home to the Food Network offices.

cm-1


When I was there I was hoping to run into one of my buds. You know - Bobby, Giada, or possibly even Ina. But, no such luck. I must have forgotten to mention that I'd be down there.

Chelsea Market has a very interesting vibe to it.

cm-22


It has an industrial / underground / cave-like feel to it.

cm-23


The walls were lined with black and white photographs and the furniture is made from stone. Doesn't look too comfortable, huh?

cm-24


I tested it out and surprisingly, it actually was! Felt like I was in the Flintstone residence! Wilmaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

I'm not going to tell you about all the different little places to visit but instead I'm honing in on the sweets!

My first stop was to Eleni's.

cm-3


They are known for their amazing decorated cookies,

cm-9


but now they are much more!

Check out these cupcakes...

cm-4


They had regular sized

cm-6



cm-7

I loved how fluffly these looked!

cm-8


There were also a bunch of minis.

cm-5


I hadn't eaten anything before I got there so I was starving! I decided to try 2 of the minis - a vanilla with chocolate ganache and a red velvet with vanilla buttercream.

cm-12


Although the chocolate one looked amazing, I actually liked the red velvet one better! It was not overly sweet and the chocolate one was a bit intense for me. If you're a chocolate lover, that would be the one for you. It was a bit on the pricey side - $3.95 for 2 of these bite sized babies, but I was told if you bring your receipt back, you get 10% off your next order. Nice deal!

What I liked about this place was it was very cute and colorful,

cm-2



cm-10


and there were tables in the back to sit and eat your goodies.

My next visit was to a bakery called Fat Witch Brownies.

cm-13


I've known about this place for some time now but only through their website. You should check it out if you get a chance - very cool! I LOVE brownies but since I just had those 2 little cupcakes, my sweets craving was done for the day. I still enjoyed looking around though.

This place was much smaller and more set up for order processing - no place to sit and hang for a while. Just get your goods and go!

They have many different flavors and creative names for each of them.

cm-14


I really liked how this one looked but had to pass since I'm no fan of mint chocolate chip.

cm-15


A pack of these would make a great gift for a Wicked fan!

My last stop was to Ruthy's Bakery. This was such a sweet bakery! They had so many fun cupcakes in the window.

cm-16

Their creations reminded me of the book "Hello Cupcake".

cm-17



cm-20


Besides cupcakes they also had cakes.

My little one would love this one...

cm-18



and my older one would try to make me buy this one on the spot! Good thing I was alone.

cm-19



I love the detail of the brown piping. So pretty!

Up on a shelf on the wall they had these wedding cakes as well.

cm-21


I really liked the look of the middle one. Definitely not in the market for a wedding cake, but if you are, wouldn't this dress be so much fun?

So, what did you think? Which bakery did you like best?

Have to tell you, there is also an Anthropologie at Chelsea market!! Is there anyone that doens't LOVE Anthropologie? I took lots of pics in that store. Such amazing things!! I'll share with you next week.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Jennifer D said...

I have always wanted to go there, Thanks. I am a Food Network fanatic.

I agree with you on the wedding dress cake, that is a fabulous idea.

citygirl - Stacey said...

I love the Food Network also. Which shows in particular do you watch? I used to watch more than I do now. Just been too busy I guess! I do have certain ones set to my DVR though - Aarti Party, 10 Dollar DInners, Big Daddy & Barefoot COntessa & Ace of Cakes. I find food shows very relaxing and inspiring.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin