Monday, March 22, 2010

Go Fly A Kite!

I mean that in the nicest way!

My little one's preschool teacher asked if I would come in one day to do a Spring art project with the class. Well, guess what?!? Today was the day!

I had been thinking for a while now about what would be a good Spring art project that would keep 3 and 4 year olds interested and would appeal to both boys and girls. I was racking my brain when it hit me this Saturday. My family, along with my mom and my sister's family all went on a picnic in a park in Sleepy Hollow. I'll elaborate more on that tomorrow but in the meantime this is what inspired me....

IMG_0248-sm



my brother-in-law trying to fly a kite!

Ding ding ding!! A kite would be a great project. We could decorate and assemble the kites in class and then all the kids can go outside and run around and watch them fly.

I found an incredibly easy kite project online. I made a sample yesterday just to test it out first.

IMG_0320-sm



Pretty simple to make and the weather was perfect yesterday so it even flew! Mind you, that was yesterday.

The template and instructions for this easy kite are located here, but this is what we used:

I cut out the kite shape from the template using regular printer paper. I brought in Spring themed stamps so the kids could decorate both sides of the kite. They also used crayons to make their own designs.

IMG_0318-sm



IMG_0314-sm



I had them choose what color they wanted for the tail from the curling ribbons I brought in.

IMG_0315-sm



I also used embroidery floss (but you can use any string) to assemble the rest of it.

IMG_0319-sm



The kids were excited when they saw their completed kite.

I was excited too until I looked out the window and saw the rain coming down!!

Note to self: check the weather forecast before doing art projects with preschoolers!

Or at least come equipped with candy. It's always a quick diversion.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin