Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pizzelle Cookies

A few holidays back, my Italian mother-in-law Gloria gave me a Cuisinart pizzelle press. I was so excited because I love pizzelles! They kind of look like flat round waffles:

Pizzelle Cookies - 32

I really like this cookie because it's thin and crispy and is not overpoweringly sweet. I usually make vanilla with a hint of lemon zest but this time I wanted to try something new so I came up with Orange Fennel Pizzelle Cookies. They came out pretty good but I think I like the lemon ones better. I don't think I used enough orange zest because I could barely taste it. The fennel was good though. Fennel seed has a kind of licorice taste, which normally I don't like. (was NEVER a fan of Good & Plenty)

It wasn't until I was halfway done that I decided to take pictures so I don't have any of the actual ingredients pictured. Next time I'll try to plan better!

So, here goes...

First you need the pizzelle machine - you need to heat it up a few minutes before you start making the cookies.

Pizzelle Maker

Sorry for the crumbs but as I mentioned, I didn't start taking pics until AFTER I started!

Spray the inside with Pam cooking spray for BAKING. This is so the cookies won't stick. The dough is kind of wet and sticky, but don't worry it works. You only need about a heaping teaspoonful for each cookie.

Pizzelle Cookie Dough - 1

You can see the orange zest in the dough.

Place the dough in the machine

ofpizzelle-7

Put the lid down for about a minute or so, and then they're done!

ofpizzelle-5

It's a little time consuming because you can only make 2 at a time.

Take them off with a plastic spatula so you won't scratch the surface of your machine. Then let them cool on a cooling rack. When they come out they are a bit soft, but they crisp up as they cool down.

ofpizzelle-9

Mmmm, nice and thin and crispy.

ofpizzelle-4

Once they cool, it's time for the powdered sugar. Could it get any better??

Powdered Sugar - 2

Sprinkle it over the cookies using a small strainer.

Pizzelle Cookie - 14

Pizzelle Cookies - 32

Load them up on a cake plate for a nice presentation. It also makes easy access for snacking!

Pizzelle Cookies - 29


Pizzelle Cookie - 38

Still looking for a Mother's Day Gift? These would make a great gift for the mom with a sweet tooth or for the mom that likes to bake. So, find your pizzelle machine and whip up a batch of these cookies and wrap them up with the cake plate. Or, if you're going to someone's house, you can make smaller hostess gifts by placing about 6 cookies in clear cello bags and tie with nice ribbon.

Pizzelle Cookie - 44

Pizzelle Cookie - 45

Does anyone else out there have one of these machines? Do you use it? What's your favorite pizzelle recipe?

Here's mine:

Orange Fennel Pizzelle Cookies (makes about 28 cookies)

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
small pinch of kosher salt
zest of one orange (I used one but next time I would try 2 for more orange flavor)

1 - preheat the pizzelle machine
2 - melt the butter
3 - zest your orange(s) and set aside
4 - place eggs and sugar in mixer and beat for a minute or so until thickened
5 - in a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt
6 - once the butter has cooled down a bit, mix it up with the eggs and sugar. Also add your vanilla extract, fennell seed and orange zest. Mix for another minute.
7 - slowly add in the flour mixture until just combined
8 - Remember to spray the inside of the machine with a baking cooking spray and now you're ready to start making your cookies
9 - place a teaspoonful of batter on each side of the pizzelle machine. Put the lid down and cook for about a minute or so. You can check and if it's not dark enough, cook for another few seconds.
10 - place cookies on a cooling rack and when cooled down, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
11 - EAT YOUR COOKIES!!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin