Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Roasted Chick Peas

I have another recipe for you today involving chick peas. I went to Costco recently and stocked up on a bunch. I hope you tried my version of hummus from last week. This next one is so super easy you just HAVE TO make it!

I first heard of roasting chick peas years ago from my friend Karen. I don't remember exactly how the original version went because I've experimented throughout the years. This is the one I make most often. My girls just love it!!

This is what we start off with:

rstchickpeas-1

a can of chick peas, extra virgin olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder and paprika. See, doesn't it sound so easy already?

I use a square Pyrex dish just because it seems to be a good size for one can - I'm guessing it's an 8 X 8 pan. Open the can of chick peas and drain as much of the liquid as possible and pour the chick peas into the pan.

rstchickpeas-2

Pour some olive oil over the chick peas. I usually never measure, but for today I wanted to give you some idea, so I used about 5 tablespoons. But you can pretty much eyeball it. You just don't want them to be swimming in the oil. That would definitely be too much!

rstchickpeas-6

Next I sprinkle on some garlic powder - enough to cover the top

rstchickpeas-9

then goes the paprika - same deal - enough to pretty much cover the top

rstchickpeas-10

Next goes the cracked black pepper. I just put a little because my girls don't like pepper. If I were going to make it for myself, I would definitely put more and I would even use some cayenne pepper as well.

rstchickpeas-15

It may look a bit dry at this point

rstchickpeas-13

so mix it all around so each chick pea is covered by the oil and the seasonings.

rstchickpeas-17

rstchickpeas-18

Are you ready for this? That's it!! The prep is done! Put the pan in an oven at 400 degree for 55 minutes. I check them every 15 minutes or so just to mix them around a bit and to check to see how brown they are getting. In this house, we like them extra crunchy so for the last couple of minutes I put it under the broiler - just to get that extra crisp, but they are definitely done before that.

Look how good they look all hot and bubbly from the oven. Mmmm...can you smell it? The scent of garlic is just so amazing!

rstchickpeas-20

Look here at the before and after...

beforeafter

they go from plain and naked to...to...to...INSANELY DELICIOUS!!!!

I think we need a closeup of this one

rstchickpeas-35

Scoop them out into a bowl

rstchickpeas-34

and they're ready to snack on. Makes a great snack, side dish or topping for your salad.

rstchickpeas-33

Just try and experiment and use any seasonings that you like. Let me know how it goes!

Roasted Chick Peas

Ingredients:
1 can chick peas - I used a 15.5 oz can
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
garlic powder
paprika
freshly ground black pepper

1 - drain liquid from chick peas and pour in pan
2 - pour on the olive oil
3 - sprinkle garlic powder to cover
4 - sprinkle paprika to cover
5 - freshly ground black pepper - as little or as much as you like
6 - mix all together
7 - place pan in a 400 degree oven for 55 minutes checking every 15 minutes to mix and to see how brown they are gtting
8 - optional - put under broiler for 2 minutes


Next week I'll have a delicious recipe for Moroccan chick pea soup. I'm telling you, you will definitely thank me for that one!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

That looks really good! I think I can even handle that one. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin