Wednesday, July 9, 2008

From Poland With Love

For years now, every time I go to the Barnes & Noble on 66th & Broadway in Manhattan, I've always admired a print hanging on the wall. As you take the escalator up to the second floor, there is a print of a woman wearing a large hat made up of couples dancing together. I don't know why I am drawn to it so much, but I just love it.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Pam and I met there before we went to dinner and of course I was so excited to see that it was still there. Then at that moment I told Pam, I HAVE TO buy that print!! So we both scrambled through our bags looking for a pen and paper to write down all the info we saw written on the print: "La Rondine", "NYC Opera", "Giacomo Puccini", "Rafal Oblinski", and then when I got back home that night, I started my search.

I first started looking at the big poster websites like posters.com, art.com and allposters.com. No luck. Then I searched on NYC Opera. No luck. I tried Rafal Oblinski and finally came up with a site that had exactly what I wanted. But it was in Poland at a website called Polish Poster Gallery. I was hesitant for a moment. Is this for real? Can I trust this website? How will I track it all the way from Poland? Well, I bit the bullet and took my chances. I entered my credit card info, hit Submit and hoped for the best.

Well, it took about 2 weeks, but the other day, to my surprise, it arrived! All safe and sound!

Two things I learned from this experience.
  1. I always loved the Internet but now I do even more. It's so amazing how everything is more accessible than you think and truly at your fingertips.
  2. Once you actually DECIDE to do something, that's when it happens. For so long I had been kooking at this print, WANTING to get it. It wasn't until I actually DECIDED to get it, that I took the steps to actually make it happen.

My next project...getting it framed.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin